John Muirs California--

Comments

• If you read all the information given for the tour it mentions wearing lightweight walking shoes with ankle suppprt. When I read the itinerary, the Activity level is a 2 and the pace a 3, so that does not indicate hiking to me. It also seems as if you view a lot of things from small buses. I have never ever seen anyone in hiking boots on any Tauck tour, even Galapagos or African ones that I have taken. On the contrary, despite being advised to wear suitable waking shoes some appear in flip flops and open toe sandals. I have only seen one accident due to wearing stupid footwear. This is a wonderful area to visit.
  • In the Muir Woods, which is fairly early in the tour, there is a walkway that is all covered in planks for exploring the commonplace sights. There is also a dirt path that goes upward (towards the Pacific Ocean -- but you do not have time to walk the entire distance and return). Hiking boots might have been helpful on the dirt path since the terrain is more challenging if you climb upward. Similarly, there is terrain that could be hiked in parks where the other alternative is donkey rides. California has mountains. You decide how high you want to venture (and in what types of shoes).
  • edited May 2018
    I live near Muir Woods, and we visit Yosemite, and Hetch Hetchy, several times a year. I wear hiking shoes. Tauck may not be taking you to places where you need them, but staying at the Majestic will provide many hiking opportunities if you choose to do so.

Ok. I just read your itinerary and you do have a free afternoon at the Majestic. If you plan on exploring, bring your hiking shoes. We dropped in there for a drink a couple months ago. It is a ‘fabulous’ hotel. The public areas are spectacular! We always stay at the Evergreen Lodge, which is near the Oak Flat entrance to the park, and very close to Hetch Hetchy ... that is the resevoir that provides water to San Francisco, and provides electric power for the street cars.
  • Kretschmer wrote:
    Hiking boots needed ?

I did this tour a few years ago. The only shoes that I had were my regular Rockport Walkers or sneakers. The terrain where we visited did not seem to require anything else. No one on the tour, that I remember, had hiking boots.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file