Options

Water shortage in Cape Town

We are booked on the February 16 tour and hope to hear what the situation was by a recent traveler.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    We were on this trip in September and water conservation was on everyones mind. We had as much bottled water as we needed on tour and were asked to be ultra conservative with our water usage at the hotel. A recent email from a Cape Town resident indicated there is about 85 days of water remaining in the reservoirs. For the latest, just search for one of their newspapers and read up on it. On the other hand, there is a good supply of wine and they are quite good.
  • Options
    Thank you AshvEd.... Know the wines are good and we look forward to having them....
  • Options
    Booked on the May 3rd tour. Just read a recent Conde Nast article that elaborates on the water shortage, indicating Capetown reservoir will be DRY by late April. Just wondering if this will impact the tour. Feel so bad for the residents of this beautiful city.

• Options
    I shall post what the locals say upon my return the end of FEB.
  • Options
    It would be best to contact Tauck. They are very good at contingency planning and only part of the tour is in Cape Town.
  • Options
    The hotels used on Tauck's South Africa tours have requested guests to take quick showers, to use hand sanitizer instead of washing hands, etc. Right now their pools are open but that may change. Ongoing water sourcing efforts by the hotels include installing a Water From Air machine that produces potable drinking water from the atmosphere. Also awaiting delivery of 3 20,000 liter water tanks for onsite storage, enough to supply hotel with 6-7 days of water at current consumption levels. The drilling of a borehole (well) on hotel property. The installation of a small desalination plant and securing alternate water supplies. Tauck always provides bottled drinking water. It is only Cape Town affected by the drought, where each tour spends less than 72 hours. The local government has been praised for their efforts.
  • Options
    Thank u Karibu. Not surprised. Will pack extra hand sanitizer and be prepared to rough it.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42836560

Here is the latest news article on Cape Town
  • Options
    Thank you ... I did see that article as well as others before that.
    That is why I posted my original message.
    Would really like to know how the Cape Grace is dealing with this H2O crisis.
  • Options
    Trixie - the info I posted is what Tauck provided based on information they have received from the Cape Grace and the One & Only, the hotels they use on their South Africa itineraries.
  • Options
    Have been getting direct updates from the Cape Grace Hotel.
    They include links to local information.
    They mention that the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront area will be OK.
    We will have to cooperate with water preservation and the water pressure might not be what we have at home.
    They are building a portable and a permanent desalination plant. The portable one will be running before “Day Cero”
    We are ready!! Crisp bills for tips that are not included by Tauck. Two passport photos for the Zimbabwe visa.
    Great fun ahead! ????????????????????
  • Options
    Trixie, I was on this trip a few months ago. I'm puzzled by your last statement. Our visas were issued at the airport upon arrival in Zimbabwe. We had to present our passports and pay the fee (which Tauck has handles for you as you have already paid for it in your trip cost). Passport photos were not required. You might want to double check the need for them. Perhaps it's a new requirement.
    Enjoy; the Cape Grace Hotel is special and the trip is truly fantastic.
  • Options
    We are taking 2 passport pictures at the request of our travel agent.
    If we do not need them... Oh well... They will not take up too much space. LOL
    Yes, the Cape Grace is great.. So is the One and Only. We have been to both before.
    Actually we have taken the Elegant Adventure before and are hoping for a new itinerary from Tauck maybe for 2020.
    2019 will be the same as this year. We have also taken the K&T and Botswana, Zambia trips. All fantastic and different.
  • Options
    Hello! I've just cut and pasted the paragraph below from the Luxury Travel Advisor's website (with a 1/30/2018 date) for those of us traveling to Cape Town for the 2/23 Tour. Hope this is helpful!

Cape Grace has made the following changes at its property in order to aid with the saving of water:

Low-flow showerheads and aerators on our taps to reduce the flow of running water

Pressure-reducing valves on the hot and cold water feeds into each room

Screens on all cooling towers to reduce spillage and evaporation

Use of local water wise plants throughout the hotel and use grey water to water the gardens

Treatments from the spa that use large amounts of water have been removed

For guests with little ones, the hotel offers Baby Dams – baby bathing systems that can save up to 28 liters of water per use

The hotel has also installed a Water from Air machine – an innovative device that’s designed to produce potable water from the surrounding atmosphere

While several spa treatments have been removed, we’re told that “guests do currently have access to both the pool and the spa. Our pool has been treated with an oil-based liquid called Heatsavr, a liquid pool blanket, which is non-toxic and not harmful to the environment. It acts as a natural oil insulation, minimizing evaporation.”

Cape Grace also says “Where feasible and possible, we would not discourage our guests from bringing their own bottled water."

• Options
    Exactly what Cape Grace sent out..... Have a fun trip !!