Options

Sleeping on Planes

I would appreciate recommendations for sleeping on the loooong flights. I never have taken a sleeping pill and want to wake up refreshed and ready to go !

Comments

• Options
    I would appreciate recommendations for sleeping on the loooong flights. I never have taken a sleeping pill and want to wake up refreshed and ready to go !

Business Class layflat seats and a few drinks!
  • Options
    Lay flat seats and an Ambien work just great for me as long as I can get in 7-8 hours of sleep. That was no problem from LA to Sydney or Atlanta to Johannesburg.
  • Options
    I've thought about ambien but then read some wild stories online about "ambien zombies" and crazy stuff people do on airplanes while asleep.
  • Options
    Lay flat seats are great if you can afford them. Here are some other tips: Sleep mask to cover your eyes. Foam ear plugs or noise reducing headphones (or both). Comfy shoes or remove them and put on warm socks. Stay hydrated, but don't over do it. Alcohol or pills may help you get to sleep, but you may pay the price in jet lag (most experts say to avoid these, but results may vary). Some people like various types of neck pillows or other cushions, I go without but often get a stiff neck.

Choose your seat wisely. Despite the attendants' warnings not to congregate in the aisles, the areas around bathrooms and exit doors are often full of rude people who may talk while you're trying to sleep or trip over your feet. Don't choose a seat where strangers will have to wake you up to get to the bathroom. Window seats are good because you can lean against the bulkhead. Sometimes window seats can be cold, especially around exits. Consider bringing a warm hat for your head and a sweater. A hoodie would also work.

In coach, the best you can hope for is probably a night of interrupted sleep. Waking up feeling refreshed is probably not possible for most people.

To lessen jet lag, I always set my watch to the time at my destination as soon as I get on the plane. That really seems to help.
  • Options
    I still firmly believe that the best thing you can do to most enjoy the tours is to arrive at least several days early so you can chill for a couple of days or do some light site seeing before the Tauck tour begins. It’s also going to be cheaper to stay extra nights in a hotel than go from paying coach prices to business class prices.
  • Options
    My best advice is (1) purchase business class if you can, (2) wear comfortable clothes (no tightness anywhere), (3) before you board the plane, do as much of your regular bedtime routine as possible (brush teeth, wash face), (4) avoid alcoholic beverages, (5) arrive at the airport having already eaten a satisfying meal and refuse the initial meal service on the plane, opting instead to either settle in to sleep or read for a short time before sleep, (6) no electronic device use before sleeping, (7) ear plugs, and (8) let the flight attendant know when you want to be awakened (2nd meal service, 1 hour before landing, etc.).
  • Options
    British wrote:
    I still firmly believe that the best thing you can do to most enjoy the tours is to arrive at least several days early so you can chill for a couple of days or do some light site seeing before the Tauck tour begins. It’s also going to be cheaper to stay extra nights in a hotel than go from paying coach prices to business class prices.

British - Good advice. I always like an extra day to get over the time change. The other advantage to arriving early is insurance against flight delays. We have twice been delayed a day at the start of the tour. While we lost a day at the hotel, we were there for the start of the tour. On the Patagonia trip, if we had arrived a day late, it would have been a disaster. We would have missed the flight to Punta Arenas. Even if we had caught another flight to Punta Arenas, we would have had to figure out how to do the 3 hour drive to Porto Natales on our own. So an extra day is cheap insurance. If your tour leaves town on day 2, I would say its an absolute must.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file